The only thing scarier than your Halloween costume this year will be the skin rash, breakout, and/or irritation left behind from your costume makeup. Low quality, cheap makeup kits from costume stores typically contain harmful, comedogenic ingredients that clog pores and encourage bacteria overgrowth. These ingredients include, fragrances, artificial dyes, glue, adhesives, waxes and oils.
Avoid The Cheap Route
Halloween makeup can seem harmless however it is often mass produced containing harmful ingredients.
Keep these tips in mind when navigating Halloween makeup this year:
- Do not reuse last year’s Halloween makeup. Even though you only used a tiny bit of it, reusing your old makeup is a bad idea. In that year it’s been sitting in your cupboard or closet, it’s been slowly turning into a petri dish of bacteria. This can greatly irritate your skin and cause serious breakouts.
- Consider purchasing higher quality makeup. Avoid purchasing your makeup at Halloween pop-up shops and drug stores. It may be a little pricier to get a name brand or organic face paint kit, but your skin will thank you for it. (and check it against your pore clogging list)
- Do a spot test. If you are worried about how your skin might react to a product, do a test spot on your neck or arm. If you have a reaction, then you know to look for a different product.
- Prime and moisturize. Before layering on makeup, start with a fresh clean face. Apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer and primer. This will help achieve a softer look and prevent over-drying the skin.
- Wash your face before bed. You have likely heard this one before, but it is worth reiterating. No matter how late the night goes, take the time to wash off your makeup to save your pores from clogging. Do a double cleanse!
No one wants to wake up November 1st with a nasty rash or breakout. However, if you are careful and you keep these tips in mind, you can have it all- beautiful skin AND perfect Halloween makeup.